Professional Development > Course Descriptions
Gain new insights and practice applying them in professional development courses in health policy, behavioral economics, operations management, and health care innovation. Courses are taught by internationally recognized leaders at the University of Pennsylvania, including the Perelman School of Medicine, the Wharton School,the Leonard Davis Institute for Health Economics, and the Penn Medicine Center for Health Care Innovation.
Courses run throughout the year, so you can match your studies to your schedule and interests in improving health care. Courses are online and 4 or 6 weeks long, with specific start and end dates. A combination of self-directed and interactive learning activities allows for both flexibility and the opportunity to engage with fellow innovative health professionals.
Please note that the course schedule is subject to change.
October 29, 2019 to November 25, 2019 and May 5, 2020 to June 1, 2020
January 14, 2020 to February 3, 2020 and June 2, 2020 to June 29, 2020
February 4, 2020 to March 16, 2020
February 11, 2020 to March 9, 2020
This course is designed for clinicians, administrators, and other health care professionals who are interested in removing barriers to instituting best practices around process improvement and care delivery. In this course, you will study leading industry examples of how transformative practices have been instituted.
What will I learn and do?
Health Care Innovation courses are designed to help you address questions such as:
- How do we advocate for increasing access, improving quality, and lowering cost?
- What tools do I use to analyze and improve operations in a medical setting?
- How do I manage and advise on the evaluation of real-world health policies and programs?
- What are the key financial and organizational challenges that health care delivery is currently facing?
- How can I improve outcomes for my clients using behavioral economics concepts?
- How can we rethink health care operations and patient outcomes to improve how we deliver care?
- What existing technologies provide connected patient experiences and relationships?
If you want to dive deeper into studying and applying these areas, with more networking and faculty interaction, consider the online Master of Health Care Innovation degree.
If you have additional questions, please contact Caitlin O'Neill, Program Manager for Online Educational Initiatives, at 215-746-3971 or MEHPonline@pennmedicine.upenn.edu.